Wednesday, January 6, 2010

150,002 Seniors Drop AARP to Protest Obamacare support

Actually the headline of the story on CNN read "150,000 Seniors drop healthcare". I add the "2" to the number to account for myself and my wife's memberships. After AARP made it official that they were supporting Obamacare, I called them up and told them to cancel our memberships. They were very nice but asked "why are you doing this?" I replied that they had come out in support of Obamacare and so they no longer represented us!. They said "okay".

Earlier in 2009 we similarly cancelled our GM credit card. I had signed up for a GM credit card back in 1993. The hook on the GM card was that 5% of what you charged in a year went into a GM points account. These points could be used dollar-for-dollar to reduce the cost of a new GM vehicle. Over the years I had used a lot of these GM points to help buy two cars for my mother.

Well, after Obama took over GM, I decided to cancel that card. Unlike AARP who took it all in stride, GM Credit nearly went ballistic. They couldn't believe why I would do this after being a cardholder for nearly 16 years. They begged me to reconsider. I told then that was not possible because I had already cut up the cards.

I believe it is important that we make it clear to the folks in Washington DC in every little way possible that they are not our rulers.......they serve at our pleasure.

No comments: